Sunday, November 9, 2008

2 weeks off school!

And I was actually fairly prouctive! Can you believe it? That said, I really don't want to go back to class tomorrow morning. Blah.
I had two weeks off because the first week was reading week, and then the second week was teaching practice, which is going better now than when I started, but it's still not great.
In the last two weeks I finished an essay for my Montessori Theory class, finished knitting a scarf for my friend in Edmonton and sent it off in the post to him, got some Christmas shopping done, got a birthday present for Nathan and sent it off in the post, made a big pot of chicken noodle soup from scratch to get me through the winter, scammed myself some chocolate chips and made cookies, cleaned my whole apartment, and hand-dyed some yarn. phew! I also did plenty of sitting around on my ass playing computer games or reading or watching DVDs on my laptop. Yesterday I didn't even get dressed all day. But in my defense, it was laundry day.

Here are some pictures of the things I did that were worth taking pictures of:

Mmm...soup. I'm extra proud of it because I made the broth myself. Plus everything in it is organic. Yum yum!

017

"The Andrew Scarf". It's a mighty big scarf. As I was knitting it, it felt like I was sitting under a big wool blanket. Knit in Rowan "Big Wool" with the tassels in Debbie Bliss Rialto.

006

I tried it on and it nearly swallowed me!

002

All rolled up and ready to be stuffed in a big envelope.

001

My hand-dyed yarn isn't photographing well, unfortunately. It's actually nicer than the photos would have you believe.

008

My first attempt, in aran weight

011

My second attempt, also aran weight. These colours are super fantastic in real life.

010

And the big skein of sock weight. This colour pattern has now been adopted (stolen. lol) by the Dublin Dye Company and has been named "Whimsy".

009

Here they are hanging up to dry at home.

012

I'm totally hooked on yarn dying now. Damn you, Elana and Yvonne!!

4 comments:

Jane said...

lovely job on the scarf!! yarn colours are beautiful - that must have been so fun!!! They are so lovely it would be a shame to knit them into anything.
Your soup looks wonderful, must have made your home smell delicious.

aniexma said...

Oooo, very lovely. I've been thinking of doing a little dyeing too. What kinds of dyes did you use?

Great scarf too - I love orange and loden together.

emerald_away said...

Thanks!

We use Gaywool dyes - very professional. No messing about with these ones. They have some really fantastic colours.

Anonymous said...

/rubs hands BWahahahahah! My evil plan worked! We have hooked another!!!!! :-D

You were a great student. There's always the other workshop on the 14th :-).