Thursday, February 26, 2009

Cork uncorked! (Episode 3: Fota!)

Previously on emerald_away: Adventures in Blarney on Saturday. Today's episode is the conclusion to this 3-part epic post on Cork.

On Sunday, after a disappointing breakfast (we had wanted to go to Quay Co-Op again, but it was closed, so we went somewhere else) we found the train station and just barely caught the train to Fota. I say "barely" because it involved us yelling at the automatic ticket machines to hurry up, and then running down the platform and jumping on the train just before it left. Because it was Sunday, we would have had to wait more than an hour for the next train if we had missed that one. But we made it. Hooray! We were going to Fota to see the Fota Wildlife Park. It's like a zoo, but with almost no fences. The monkeys all live on islands, and don't seem interested in leaving them, the non-predatory animals are behind small fences, but most of them can just step over, so you see animals just wandering around on the paths. The only animals in real zoo-like cages are the cheetahs (there must have been close to 20 of them) and the eagle. It was super cool. I've never been that close to some of those animals before. Here's some highlights:

As we came into the park, there was this mother capybara and her baby just chilling out near the picnic area. I've never seen these up close before. I didn't realize they were so huge. It's the world's largest rodent. It looks like a guinea pig, but it's the size of a sheep. Crazy.

Cork 204

Pelicans! Kalen had never seen pelicans up close before. She didn't think they would be that big.

Cork 214

Leapin' Lemurs! (Sorry, just taking a time warp back to the Kratt Brothers...remember them? Anyone? Just me? Okay.) Anyways, These lemurs were actually in the lemur area, but there seemed to be random lemurs all over the place.

Cork 218

This monkey kept posing for the camera. It was pretty funny. Actually, it kind of takes me back to the days of wee Ian's "sweetie pie" face.

Cork 221

A whole family of monkeys!

Cork 224

A gibbon chillaxin' in the sun.

Cork 234

It's like a little person! Look at his little hand! And his little Beatles haircut! Crazy.

Cork 246

This baby gibbon was very silly.

Cork 247

Cork 261

Cork 264

The family of gibbons put on quite a spectacular show for us. They were singing. It was so neat, because when they were all sinigng together, it was like they were harmonizing.

Cork 269

"Ooohhh Danny Boooooy!" (Don't they look like they're singing bar songs? See how they've got their arms around each other? Too cute.)

Cork 276

Look how close these wallabies were to the fence! We were about 6 inches away from them!

Cork 284

This monkey does not look amused. I'm kind of glad this one was on an island.

Cork 298

A black swan! Super cool!

Cork 300

Awww...the cheetahs love each other! <3

Cork 309

Heeeeere zebra, zebra, zebra!

Cork 312

With some of the animals, I was wishing that they would come just a little closer...

Cork 323

...others were already too close for comfort.

Cork 335

Much better. Just stay over there, Mr. Ostrich. Don't come over here again, please.

Cork 336

The giraffes finally came closer.

Cork 317

They brought their baby!

Cork 321

This one came really close! I'd like to point out that it was not necessary to use the zoom on my camera for this picture. She was about 6 feet away from us. It was amazing.

Cork 355

There were some llamas (or maybe they're alpacas) hanging out on the path. Either way, I wanted to run over and shave them so I could make yarn. :D

Cork 363

A baby bison! Awww. Just like home!

Cork 371

An oryx. These guys have crazy horns. They look pretty lethal.

Cork 374

We saw some ugly, ugly emus.

Cork 381

And a very pretty duck.

Cork 389

And a heron.

Cork 395

And a PENGUIN! This seemed very strange at first, but I suppose if they can live in New Zealand and South America, then they can live here. This one seemed very confused, though. He was trying to build a nest. I didn't think penguins normally did that.

Cork 392

Cork 404

I <3 peacocks. I chased this one around for about 5 minutes trying to get some good shots.

Cork 421

Cork 423

Cork 422

And so concludes our trip to Cork. Basically, it was awesome.

The end.

7 comments:

Jane said...

Elly, your pictures are so goooood.
I love the gibbon chillaxing. And the baby gibbon sticking out his tongue - priceless!

The peacock photos are amazing - clear and the colours are bright and beautiful.

What a great zoo!

emerald_away said...

Thanks, Jane!
That picture of the baby gibbon sticking his tongue out always makes me laugh. So does the close up of the ostrich (though that one wasn't so funny at the time it was taken).

It was a great zoo. Definitely something I would reccomend experiencing.

Anonymous said...

I remember the Kratt Brothers!!!!! I used to love that show, with Zaboomafoo:). The GIbbons are adorable, and that duck is nice but kind of weird.

Love the pictures!!!!!

emerald_away said...

That's right, I guess you and Ian used to watch Zaboomafoo. But when I was a kid, I used to watch their first show. It was called Kratt's Creatures. I loved it. But now I feel old. lol.

Anonymous said...

the cappa bera gave dad nightmare's

emerald_away said...

Poor Nigel. It is a bit like a giant beaver, isn't it?

Anonymous said...

Great zoo! Great pix!

I'm blaming the capybara photo for a scary dream that I had about Pippin being as large as sheep.