Friday, May 15, 2009

Almost done...

Four exams down, one to go! And that one isn't until Wednesday, so I can relax this weekend. (Sweet!) Also, I feel like I've done pretty well on all the exams so far! (Double sweet!) So I figured I'd put up a little post for you since I've actually got pictures this time. Shocking, I know.

Last Sunday, the weather was fantastically gorgeous. Warm and sunny and lacking that cold wind coming off the sea which always seems to ruin warm days over here. Kalen and I went down to the Sunday Market in Sandycove (just like every week) but this time was particularly lovely.

The tulips are out in full force, everywhere you look! Yes, they really are this bright!

ocean 013

As expected, the beautiful weather ensured that the market was PACKED. The good news is that there's always so much more to see (and purchase) when the weather is nice. Some of the vendors don't show up if it's crappy and rainy and cold out. Which, let's face it, is often. This is Ireland.

ocean 017

Mmmm...purchases. Yes, that is a locally grown organic watermelon. It's nearly gone now, and is super fantastic. Om nom nom!

ocean 042

After the market, we couldn't bear to just go home and sit inside while the lovely weather went to waste, so we walked down the pier...

ocean 036

It must have been a great day for sailing, despite the lack of wind, because the Bay was packed.

ocean 022

ocean 025

No wind meant that the water was super clear.

ocean 027

We went to a little beach.

ocean 046

Just our luck, the tide was on its way out. Play time!

ocean 047

HOORAY FOR SUMMER!

ocean 054

We found a super cool rock. I wonder what happened to it...

ocean 055

We spent a couple of hours wading in the ocean, getting mildly sunburnt. It was wonderful. Nothing makes me quite so happy as heat and sun. I'm very much looking forward to a good Manitoba summer. I will miss the ocean though.

ocean 058

ocean 062

ocean 059

ocean 060

We found all kinds of crazy creatures in the ocean. A teeny tiny little crab...

ocean 071

And a whole load of shrimp! Here's one! They were very quick and tough to spot, so they weren't easy to photograph.

ocean 068

What a great day. Unfortunately, I had to study when I got home from the beach. Bleh.

Aside from lots and lots of studying, something else has been taking up a fair bit of my time the past couple of days...

new toy 015

That's right, I (finally) bought a bodhrán! I love it!

new toy 014

I chose a design which I feel embraces my Scottish roots. :)

new toy 011

It's loads of fun! Obviously, I'm not very good at it just yet, but I'm getting there. Practice, practice, practice!

In other (sadder) news, Matty left yesterday morning, and the apartment is feeling awfully empty now. *sigh* On my own-y all alone-y. Again. Good thing Stef gets here in 6 days. Her visit might be a little bit mad. Haha.

I should have more pictures to post soon because Claire and I plan on going down to Enniskerry, Co. Wicklow tomorrow to visit the Powerscourt House & Gardens. I'm charging up my camera now and hoping for nice weather. The last few days, the weather has been absolutely rubbish, unfortunately, and it's meant to stay this way for at least a week. But on the other hand, you never can tell with Irish weather, as it seems to change on the hour. Crazy country.

I'll leave you with a demonstration of someone playing the bodhrán far better than I am currently able to. Enjoy!

3 comments:

Jane said...

Brilliant drumming!!!! Are you going to take lessons or just figure it out on your own?

Love the tulips!! I never thought there would be watermelons in Ireland!

Enjoy every minute that you can.

aniexma said...

Pretty tulips! Ours aren't open yet, but soon...

emerald_away said...

I'm figuring it out on my own. I've got an instructional DVD which is actually quite helpful and then besides that I'm making it up as I go along. Hooray improvisation!