Friday, May 8, 2009

No pictures, but a post nonetheless.

I realize it's been ages since I've posted anything, but life has been quite hectic.

Houseguests became flatmates, and then one disaster after another ended with one back in Winnipeg and the other heading back next week. It's really a shame, but not something I'm going to get into now. All I'll say is that it's not because of flatmate tension. We're all still close friends and we'll spend time together when we're all back in the 'Peg. So I suppose it's all well and good, but it's still been a source of stress over the past couple weeks. All that being said, I'm really greatful to have been able to experience having flatmates. Yes, admittedly there were times when I wanted to smother them in their sleep, but for the most part it was just nice having someone around all the time to talk to and hang out with. I never enjoyed living all by myself, and found it pretty lonely most of the time. It was really nice having someone around to say randomly, "Get dressed. Let's go out tonight." or else just be lazy with and sit around watching movies. I guess mostly it was nice to have the company. I don't think it's any big secret that I miss the one who has gone back already, and I will miss the other one when he goes.

Luckily, there won't be too much time all by myself in the apartment, as Stef comes out in less than 2 weeks now! She'll be here for a couple weeks to help me get everything ready to move back and also to help me enjoy my last couple weeks in Dublin. Should be a blast, I'm really looking forward to it.

Exams are upon me now. Eew. I wrote my first one yesterday (Montessori Theory), and it was easy, no problems. However, I have Psychology on Monday and I think it's safe to say that I'm 100% screwed. The man teaching the course is absolutely useless. He's very nice, and he means well, and clearly tries really hard, but he's just plain stupid. I've learned nothing from him all year. And then unlike all the other profs, he didn't tell us what to study. So I can't help but feel like I'm headed for Fails-ville. Obviously I've been studying from the textbook, but it's such a vast subject I barely know where to start. And everyone else in the course is in the same boat because nobody learned anything this year. Greeeaaat. I'll let you know how this turns out, but I'm not overly confident to say the least.

I really can't believe it's almost all over. I'm crazy relieved about it and very happy to be heading back to a country where I feel like I belong, but at the same time, leaving is sort of bittersweet. I've made some really great friends over here who I'm sad to leave behind. Though it's safe to say that I'll be getting some visitors in Canada over the next couple of years, and I've always got places to stay in Dublin. As much as I hate this damn city, I know I'll be back. This dirty old town is a part of me now, and I know already that I'll eventually be called back to the green hills and salty coasts of Ireland. But just for a visit. Do I have regrets? Sure. But who doesn't? All I know is that it's definitely time for me to leave, but I'm glad I came. I can see in myself all the changes that this experience has caused. Some of them positive, others not so much, but I can say with confidence that I've grown up a lot over the last 9 months. Maybe no one else will see it, and I'm okay with that. Emerald Away is coming Home.

I must get back to studying, but I'll try to post again after exams and before I leave Dublin.

2 comments:

Jane said...

Hey Elly, Good luck with your psychology exam. Study hard! If all else fails - creativity and blarney may help!!!

aniexma said...

Good luck with exams.

I can see all the changes that have happened to you in the time you've been in Dublin - moving back is going to bring a whole new set of changes too.

Just so you know - the "I wanted to smother them in their sleep" flatmates - well, that's a lot like any flatmate (including marriage). Just sayin', is all.