Tuesday, September 9, 2008

I've been sitting, waiting, knitting...

I officially live here now (without having a permanent address, but I'm still working on that). This morning, Mum and I went down to the Garda station (they're like the Mounties combined with the Immigration Office) to register me. We brought our knitting because it's usually a very long wait, being a government office and all. We got pretty lucky, and we had got there pretty early in the day, and then the whole process only took a little over an hour (I got finger printed! It was crazy!). So we didn't get much knitting done, but getting my immigration card was more important anyways.
Tomorrow morning, I move in with Tom and Carol and the boys, and I'll stay there for a couple of weeks until I find my own apartment.
Today Mum and I headed back out to Dundrum Town Centre and did some shopping. I got some towels at Next, and a beautiful pink wool coat and coordinating flowery umbrella at Hobbs, and some boring stuff at Tesco (like a hairdryer). While walking to the train, Mum and I found Molly Malone. I must have walked down that street a dozen times already, and yet I had never seen her before. She's quite...boob-tastic. The Tart with the Cart....love it.
On Sunday, Mum and I wandered around city centre with Kalen from knitting. We saw St. Stephen's Green - both the park and the shopping mall, and the park at Merrion Square, which was surrounded by artists selling some very nice paintings. We didn't buy any because none of us happened to be in the market for original art. But it was quite lovely nonetheless. We had lunch at the mall and looked at some of the shops. Then we happened upon some street performers called the English Gents (though they were actually Australians pretending to be English). They did some AMAZING gymnastics/acrobatics - very Cirque de Soleil-esque, only on the street with no safety harnesses. They were adorable and hilarious. Especially when they took off their clothes and performed in their undies. Best part. Don't worry, I took pictures! Lots of them! I'll post them up when I'm a little more settled and can dig out the cable to connect my camera to the computer. We also discovered Butlers Chocolate. Oh. My. God. They make hot chocolate with real melted chocolate. Oh Baby. They also sell truffles and chocolate bars. Oh Baby Oh Baby. So good. This is dangerous, as Butlers is a chain, and they're located all over the city.
Now, I'm off to play Spore (awesome game!) and possibly eat some chocolate.

2 comments:

Jane said...

mmmmmm chocolate.....everything sounds so interesting - can't wait to see pictures

Jane said...

Temperature is looking a might chilly.

I hope Tom and Carol are taking care of you and that you find a permanent place soon.

Love Auntie Jane