Thursday, September 4, 2008

Updates!

Hello everyone.
Mum and I just got back to the hotel from my new-found knitting group and it was fantastic! I have friends now! Hurrah! Also, some of them are helping me find a place to live because I am still homeless and Mum leaves in a week. Eek! I have a phone now, so anyone who needs to know the number can either facebook message me or email me or get it from Mum once she's home. (Obviously, being a little girl in a big city I'm not going to post my phone number on the internet for all to see). My phone is pretty and pink and it slides (ooh, fancy). You can see it here: https://www.vodafone.ie/df/prepay/new/index.jsp?handset=J700P&manufacturerSelected=ALL
On the apartment searching front: still no luck, but here's the story...
As I told you before, I saw flat #1 and it was beautiful, except that the bathroom was on another floor down a communal hallway and staircase. Ick. Then, I saw flat #2 which was a smelly hovel. Flat #3 in Dun Laoghaire was very tiny, but with a little tidying could be...not too bad. Flat #4 was a little out of the way of things, and nowhere near the train, and the kitchen was crappy, but I liked it as much as #3. Today I had an appointment (with a real letting agent, not just a landlord) to see flat #5. I was very excited, because online it looked PERFECT, aside from being expensive, but whatever. So we went. It was really out of our way. It was not near the train. There was really nothing nearby besides more houses, a pub, a newsagents, a pharmacy, and a barber shop. We waited. Our feet hurt. We sat on the curb. The lady never showed up. Fan-fucking-tastic. So, no apartment for me. I'm thinking now that I'll need to just rent out a room in someone's house until I find a real apartment. I'm getting desperate.
Then we went to the bank to get me set up with a bank account. Well here's the deal: You can't have a bank account if you've got no address. You can't have an address if you've got no bank account to write a cheque from for deposit and first month's rent. I don't know what exactly they expect people to do... Long frustrating story short, two VERY nice ladies at the bank worked really hard and made all sorts of special exceptions and probably broke a few laws and now I have the beginnings of an Irish bank account. It's pretty magical.
I would say that everyone has to start coming to visit me, but I don't actually have a home for you to visit. But I miss you anyways. It feels like I've been here for weeks. I still want to come home.

Who's coming to get me?

1 comment:

Jane said...

ooooohhhhh your phone is so beautiful!
so the score so far is:

Knitting group - check
phone - check
bank account - check
place to live - in process

Good luck!